Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

2 weeks and counting!

We have been here 2 weeks today and we are missing home - yet we know we still have at least 2 1/2 weeks to go. We are doing to best to keep our spirits up. Things went well with the judge yesterday, we met his requests and hope to have a court date by Wednesday of next week. We are waiting for the SDA to complete our permission and once we get that back we can take it to the judge to get a court hearing. Olena is doing as well as expected. We have learned not to take our bag of goodies because she gets too upset if she does not get what she wants as soon as she wants it. She also has a great set of lungs!!!! She screams about everything!! OMG!! Screams when she is mad, and screams when she is happy. So pretty much she is always screaming!!! I am not sure how much longer the other two families are going to put up with us! LOL! We all sit in a room together away from the rest of the groupa and their two little girls sit in their laps, cuddle and are so sweet. Then there is our monster...she climbs on the tables, jumps off the chairs, steals everyone else snacks and of course screams. We love her of course ~but I am not sure how much the others think her screaming is cute:O) At least she's vocal. She is starting to speak a little bit more English. Most of the time if I tell her an english word she will attempt to repeat it. She says mommy and daddy though I don't think she realizes what it means. She knows I am momma and Jason is poppa and she does call us that regularly! And there are no more problems with going to poppa....she LOVES poppa very much and lately has perfered him over me. He throws her in the air and swings her around - while she screams - so he is much more fun than me! I am a little worried about the plane ride home, she is such a busy body and the high pitch screams might cause a problem!! this outta be a fun experience!

But a few milestones over the past 10 days include...letting us know when she needs to be changed, she knows to say "rah rah" when shaking her pom poms, when counting she knows when it is three - I say one, two and she yells three...then I finish, when she wants cookies she says yum yum, when thirsty she stands in front of Jason and licks her lips (which I must say is hilarious), and she smiles when I pull the camera out!! She is so much fun and she really makes a bad day good! I wouldn't change a thing about our decision but she is the craziest of the bunch!

We will post again in a few days! Good luck to those who are traveling soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion for the plane ride home...COLORING BOOKS and plenty of them! A small box of legos (if they have them there) and something like action figures that you can play with, with her. There are plenty of sedatives as well. LOL! She sounds wonderful and so much fun to be around! I'm very much looking forward to meeting her, she is going to be very adventerous! We all love you here at home!!!! LY, Auntie Jen

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a handful but lots of fun.

I have two suggestions for the plane ride home, Benadryl and deep cleansing breathes :o)

Rita said...

Hello Tina & Jason,
Olena is BEAUTIFUL!!!! She does have that sly smile like I've seen on another child you're fond of:) I've been told attitude is a good thing in a daughter--if you make it through the terrible 2's/3's and the teenage years, attitude makes for a "strong" adult woman.
Enjoy the wonderful adventure you're partaking in--can't wait to meet Olena!
Love, Rita Huebel

Anonymous said...

Atleast I'm laughing instead of crying this time:-) I can't wait to see Olena! Maybe her and Timmy can just run circles around eachother until they exaust one another. I miss you! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I'm sure it was hard to be away from your family, but you know you have so much to be thankful for this year. Hang in there, you will be home soon. Trust me, I'm praying for your speedy return every day! LOL
BTW, she is beautiful! She does have quite the devious little smile. I have one with that same little smile:-) She will keep you on your toes, but will also be the joy of your life. And on the rough days, they are still angels when they sleep...
You, Jay and Olena are in me and Timmy's prayers!
Love, Jesse