Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Idea corner

Just thought I would share this...when we went the Ukrainian Angels reunion back in September and another family had brought something that I found very cool. Dad, made a book out of their blog! He had to reformat the blog onto a word document, but he did it very nicely with all of the pictures, and at the end of each entry (chapter) he even included all of the comments. It was so well done, and was really fascinating. All you have to do, is put it together how you want it, then take it to the Kinko's, or local printing shop and have them bind it for you. I think this is something I will do for the "first year home". Seems like a nice way to cherish these precious memories.

Another cheesy idea....I took a picture that Olena painted and framed it, then hung it in my kitchen. I got so many compliments, and many where surprised to find out that it was a painting done by her. Since everyone was so fond of her amazing artistic abilities :) I scanned a few of her best - and made a collage with the various painting, and then I printed them on high quality glossy paper, put them in a nice frame, and WA LA....instant gift for the grandparents. Hey the Holidays are right around the corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina and family,
I just caught up on reading your blog and love to look at the pictures of Olena. She sounds as if she is doing great. We are looking forward to seeing Angelina and her Mom and Dad sometime in Dec or Jan. The jury is out on the date. Ha! Brian is very busy so we will hear one of these days. They seem to be doing great. Angelina seems to love sunglasses, goggles, swimming, hikes and well I guess just about anything. Give Olena a hug. Although I have never met her she looks like an angel and I can tell you are all very happy. These three little girls have made an amazing adjustment.
Grandma Jeanie White

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Hi Christina, I've been reading your blog for quite a while now. My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Ukraine (we leave Monday to go over!!). Anyway, just thought I'd let you know about a site that will help you turn your blog into a book and does a lot of the work for you. It's blurb dot com - we plan to use it once we're back home and settled. It's probably a little more expensive than doing it at Kinko's, but also probably a higher quality.

Olena is such a beautiful girl and it's nice to see her adjusting so well and so happy! Thanks for sharing your journey and your day-to-day stuff!