Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007


Sorry for the delay. I just haven't been in the blogging mood. Things have been pretty busy around here lately and by the time I even get to the computer the idea of posting is "painful".

I went back to last November and read the blog entry I made, and I looked in my journal. At this point last year, I was not a happy camper :( I was starting to get terribly home sick, my little angel had turned evil! and I had enough of living with 2 men in a 800 square foot flat with nothing but Russian television or Meet the Fockers on DVD. Meet the Fockers was the only DVD we brought that actually worked in their players. Much to my surprise, it seems that DVD players are formatted to only work with certain DVDs. Look on the DVD itself, and you will see a globe, and a number in the globe must be '5' in order to work over there. Keep that in mind! We ended up watching it about 4 times a day because we could not stand to watch another program that we didn't understand!

Our life was pretty repetitive, kinda like Ground Hog Day. We would get up, eat breakfast of tea, sausage/cheese and crackers, we would walk to the orphanage, visit until about noon, walk home, stop at the market, eat lunch, take a nap, wake up and walk back to the orphanage, leave there about 6:30, head home, eat dinner, then sit around and talk with Gene, or I would read.
That was life for about 2 weeks.....boring!! I think back now and feel guilty for those feelings but I understand it was a point where we were both exhausted, mentally and emotionally...all I wanted to do was go home and be with my family.

At this point in our trip we also ran into some other problems. I wish I could go into further detail but being a public blog I am not crazy enough to post them here and take any risks, but I want to share with those of you traveling soon, issues will arise. Be prepared. Ukrainians love to drink, sometimes way too much. And Ukrainians know Americans have money, and sometimes they want too much!! Regardless, we had a huge support system when our issues did arise, Cathy and her Team were there the second we called on them, and our families were here at home, working things on this end! It all turned out for the better and the adoption went on of course, and we hold no hard feelings against anyone. Adoption is a way of life over there - it is what puts food on the table for many families. Some do abuse the system, but that is just a fact. Choosing Ukraine was exactly that....a choice. I educated myself as much as I could, and I was always aware of what was going on and what to expect, and that is way I now cherish my experience, and remember the good points and not so much of the bad. Every time I look at this little girl I am filled with so much love and passion, none of that re enters my mind, for the most part, it is forgotten. I guess it is like giving birth, the pain is all forgotten once it is over!

Thanksgiving was also on the same day last year - November 23rd. That was a coincidence! I wanted to take a moment to reflect back over this year a share a few of things that I am most thankful for....

*Of course, top on my list is Olena and her awesome transition. She is one of the bravest little girls I have ever known and she has really opened her heart to learn to how to love and trust us. That is a huge feat for such a little girl.

* I am thankful for my friends and family, especially my parents, for the support that they have given us as a family, financially and emotionally. There were many days over the first few months were I had to just "give up". I am not saying that babies are easy, but at least when you bring a baby home, for the most part they just eat and sleep. You feed them and then do things for yourself while they are sleeping. Then over a period of a few months, the demands get tougher, but you are gradually worked into that routine. We went for worrying about nobody but ourselves to having a crying, whining, running, screaming, hungry, sick, confused, and EXTREMELY tired toddler. She kept us up all hours of the night, she screamed and cried a lot, and I never knew what she wanted...I don't think she knew either ;) It was one of the toughest, and most testing moments of my life!

*I am thankful for my husband. He had to tough it out too and I know it was hard. All the while we stayed strong as husband and wife. He held me the many times I cried in frustration, and he was always there to take over when he knew I hit the breaking point.

*I am thankful for my employer who has been a complete blessing over the past year. They firmly believe in "family first" and that has made my life so much easier!

*and last but not least, I am thankful to Tonya Kissack. Though she is hundreds of miles away, and we don't talk too much personally, she has been an inspiration, a teacher, and a great influence. Much more than she will ever know! (until now) Many of you who read my blog read hers too, so you are aware of what kind of mother and wife she is - which is AMAZING!! I have learned many parenting tips and ideas, I have read many of her recommendations and because of her I know I am a better person and a better mother. She radiates love and a strong opinion of faith - she is an angel in disguise for many people and I am sure for many of the you who read her posts everyday! I for the first time in my life have decided to read the Bible. My husband and I went to church for the first time for Sunday Mass a few weeks back, I now strive to be a better person, wife, mother, daughter and friend. This is definitely something that has proved to be much easier with the help of God and the power of prayer. If you have read my blog from the start, you are aware that I was never a person of Faith. I lacked that in my life and I now know that my heart was very empty because of it. A dear friend put me on the path before we left for Ukraine, but once I came home, for whatever reason it was tough to continue. I got sucked back into the old bad habits. Reading Tonya's blog, and hearing her "words" put that glow back in my heart and encouraged me to get back on the path and move forward. It has been a slow process, but I am trying and that is all that matters. It seems Tonya is always there to pull you back up when you start to slip! and she does it without even realizing it. So without boring you all too much, Cheers to Tonya. I will remember her and her family tomorrow and thank God for bringing her into my life!
Thank you Tonya for being a true inspiration~

Say a prayer tonight for all of your family and friends. And lets not forget those little ones we left behind!



Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the Warchol Family! and God Bless.





2 comments:

adoptedthree said...

Christina
During my first adoption, it was Thanksgiving Day and we had just had visited the second orphanage with no luck and I was crying hysterically and wondering why me!! I actually called Cathy on Thanksgiving and she directed me...

We sat by ourselves in a smokey cafe wondering why?? What had we done wrong? All we wanted was a child!

Your right the experience can be incredibly crazy and emotionally draining.
After we returned I told everyone I would NEVER go back...ha ha...and I went back twice more.

Happy Thankgiving and kiss that beautiful liitle blessing!!

Tonya said...

Okay. That was the nicest thing anyone could have ever said about me. I am beyond touched and beyond happy that all my yammering and blabbing helped you in some way. I love you guys and I can't wait for a reunion one of these days.

((HUGS))!

And that pic of O. in the leaves is priceless!