Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Well it seems great minds think alike because I read Tonya's blog today and she had the same exact idea I did...I was going to spend these next 50 some days remembering our time in Ukraine. I thought I would post a few things that we didn't while there due to obvious reasons, and try to share some of the great memories I have that I just didn't think to post at the time.

Our adoption trip was perfect, and I tell that to everyone I meet. I still do read the adoption boards, and yes I am still a blogging junkie - scoping out all of the new blogs and following the stories of those families who are currently there - I love to relive the experience. Every time I start to reminisce I will usually remember something small that I had forgotten about that brings a smile to my face. Reading all of this, I often hear/see words of frustration due to the snags you hit along the way....inaccurate paperwork, delays, delays and more delays, expediting fees, etc. Jason and I were thrown a few curve balls during our time there, believe me. That doesn't mean we had a bad experience. I expected it, expected it all. And because of that, we were able to tackle anything that came our way. We didn't stress about it, we just accepted it. That's Ukraine! We are all told that from the very beginning. Expect the unexpected if you chose to adopt from Ukraine. I educated myself upside down and backwards. Gene very rarely even had to explain what he was doing, because I already knew. Just like the ole' saying goes "knowledge is power" and that is why we were able to enjoy this experience to it's fullest!

Anyhow, like I said I will go back in time, and start to re-blog our path to parent hood. Our "Family Day" will be celebrated on December 17th. I know that is not the date that we officially became a family, but it is day that I officially FELT like a family. December 17th is the day that I stepped onto US soil with my daughter in hand and the first night she slept under my roof, where she belongs.

December 17th will also be the day that I end the blog.
I have done my part to advocate adoption the best way I can. I have shared my time before, during and the whole year after. If this blog isn't testimony enough, as to why adoption is such a miracle, then sadly I have failed what I was striving for. I have shared my daughter's daily life with the whole world for a year now, and I think it is time that I start to respect her privacy. I hope that this blog will serve many purposes....to inspire others to adopt, to educate those who will adopt, and bring comfort to those who have adopted.

I have grown to know many of you in the cyber world and I would love to keep you posted with how she progresses. If you are ever curious please do not hesitate to email me!

Thank you to everyone who actually found my life interesting enough to read about.

1 comment:

adoptedthree said...

Bummer that you are shutting down the blog, I have enjoyed following Olena's journey.