Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Friday, November 17, 2006

One week away from home...

Today makes one week since we left home...one week since sleeping in a comfortable bed!!! The one thing I do not like about Ukraine! The mattress' are very thin and very hard. However so far everything else is perfect!

We got to visit Olena (FYI - pronounced O-LAY-NA) yesterday afternoon and again this morning. Yesterday we got to take her outside to play which was nice. They put so many clothes on these children when they go outside it reminds us of the little boy from the Christmas story. We are in southern Ukraine and it is very warm here. Kinda like being south at home. It has been in the 50-60s and we packed clothes for the North Pole - most of the leaves are still on the trees to.

This morning we went to see her again, but she was pretty reserved. We had a banana in our bag which she quickly discovered was something wonderful. She loved it. One of the other children in her groupa had a family visit her today - hopefully she too will get a momma and poppa! They are all so precious, I pray for the best for each and everyone of them.

Today Gene is running around getting some paperwork settled to send to Kiev. He told us that we will need to send some documents to the adoption center by train, wait for it to come back, then try to get a court date. He has not given us any estimates yet - I think he is too nervous to get our hopes up, but my guess is that we should have court by the end of next week. Once we go to court and the adoption is "approved" we will have to wait 10 days (a mandatory waiting period) then back to Kiev with Olena. She is not allowed to stay with us until this 10 day period is over. During this time we will continue to visit her 2 times a day...this will give her a chance to get use to us! I looked at the calender last night and if everything remains "kink free" we should be home by the week of December 10th.

That is all for today. I will post again over the weekend - we are going to try to go and visit the Black Sea so that should be nice. Take care everyone and we miss you all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tina and Jason!

There is so much that I would like to say. First Tina I miss you so much!!! I love you!!! Right now of course I'm at work, and I'm trying not to cry. God be with you. OLENA! OLENA! OLENA!. Her name is so beautiful. I'm glad that the two of you have decided to keep her name. I have these clothes that I want to share with you. Should I take them over to the house, while your mom is there. Don't worry about responding to nay of my questions. We have plenty of time for that. So Mrs. I'm not going to buy her anything, because the "book" said not to! I know that would last long with you.Everyday I think of you and Jason. The both of you are truly blessed. Even though you blogg sounds happy, I know it's hard being away from home. Just remeber that this time will come to past. Before you know it, all three of you will be home. I can't wait to see you. Kiss OLena for me. I remember all of the wonder things you gave Kamille. I can't thank you enough!! I want to be there for Oleana. I since our little girls are somewhat close in age, I hope that can play together. Ilove you both! Stay strong. I know you can get through this.

Love,
April and family

Kimbell and Mark said...

We can relate about the beds - and how about those sheets???? One of the things I missed most was fitted sheets and my pillow!!!! But it will all be worth it. Congrats!!!!

Anonymous said...

Christina & Jason,
Sounds like everything is going great. We are sooo happy for all of you. Hurry home so we can see Olena! What a beautiful name. We miss you here at the office and can't wait until you're back. We're trying to hold things down but it just isn't the same without you.

You both are going to make GREAT parents. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Wishing you the best,
Dan, Ray, Cindy,
Becky, David,
Petey, and Voj

Amy said...

Hard to believe that it has been a week!
Tell us about the Black Sea when you get back!
Can't wait to see a photo!

Amy