Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

We are family.....

It is offical....as of 3pm today we are offically the parents to Olena. It was quite the experience but thankfully everything went well. Jason and I held it together pretty well. Gene on the other hand was a nervous wreck. He pulled through though with flying colors. At the beginning of the session the judge asked who wanted to speak first and I volunteered which was a blessing in desguise because he asked several questions that Jason would have for sure bloched!! He asked why are you adopting, why Ukraine, how do you know she will have a good and fair life in the U.S., why are we not adopting domestically, will she be able to be President?? yes he did ask that. I could hear Jason now...because my wife said....maybe we should ask my wife....my wife never mentioned this to me, I am not sure?!! but it did go well and when I was done he asked Jason to stand, asked him the basics such as name and place of employement, then asked if he agreed with all of my answers - easy enough! After answering questions for about 40 minutes he left the room to consult with the other officals for about 5 minutes, they came back into the room and gave some long speech in Ukrainian which I understood meant "yes you are now the parents of Olena". Amazing how the both of us could sit there and listen to him and actually understand what he was saying. We both had huge smiles on our faces and so did the other people in the court. He then came and shook our hands and told us Congradulations and Best Wishes. Finally it is over.
We will now have a 10 day waiting period which will end on December 9th, unfortunately that is a Saturday so we can't do much, but we should be able to take Olena from the orphange on Sunday. Complete her passport and new birthcertificate on Monday and Tuesday, leave for Kiev on Tuesday night and arrive on Wednesday morning, then a few more days completed immigration and having a medical evaluation, then HOME!!! I am hoping to be able to leave a day or two earlier and fly out on the 15th or 16th. Every day counts even if it is just one day, I am leaving as early as possible. I miss my family, my dogs, my cats, my house, my bed....everything!!!
After court we went to Dixie BBQ and met up with one of the other families. Jason and I ordered Tbones steaks and were salivating at the table at just the thought of some good beef. Boy were we surprised. We got some type of meatloaf thing covered in a sweet BBQ sauce, still good but not what we were dreaming about. Guess the tbone will have to wait until we are back home! We finished off with some good icecream though so that was a treat.
That about covers it all. Thank you so much to everyone for your support and prayers. We made it! We couldn't be happier and we can't wait to share the joy with all of you. Now it is just a matter of waiting everything out and starting the count down until we go home. Love and miss you all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS!!!! This is wonderful news...I'm so glad everything went well for you this afternoon and I can't wait for you guys to be home again and meet Olena. The wait has given me plenty of time to do some shoping for her though. :) Congrats! You deserve it! Love you, Auntie Jen

Anonymous said...

Welcome to parenthood! Can't wait to see you guys and little Olena! CONGRATS! Love, Alana,Rob,& the gang

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both. And of course to Olena, who now has two wonderful parents to see her through a new life.
Michmom

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Congratulations!

Love,
Carey, Kraig and the girls

Anonymous said...

hi its kaitlin crocker hope your happpy to come home soon and olena
to be happy.im doing good in school.
glad it went good in court and the judge said yes.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for the both of you!! You both will be great parents! We miss you like crazy here at the office!! It is definitely not the same without you!! :) Enjoy the rest of your time in Ukraine! Hurry back!

Love You,
Becky!

P.s. Are you throwing Olena and me a Double birthday party??? :) ha ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Congrats on your new little one. I miss you Tina!!!!! I can't wait to meet OLena. This is greeat news. The both of you are so blessed, and OLena is blessed to have the both of you. Kamille has her first set of teeth. The top two came in at the same time! Olena will come on with you on Kamille's birthday. I wish you the best of luck the first night with Olena! Remeber to give her plenty of huggs and kisses.

I love you guys! God bless!

Love
April and Family