Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Monday, December 04, 2006

13 days and counting down!!

The countdown has begun....we have 13 days until we are US soil and boy will it be great. It is wonderful being able to be home for Christmas too! I cannot wait.
Things are going well. Olena is much better. We are having fun with her and she is coming along greatly - learning new things everyday and speaking more and more english! She is very funny and you all will love her to death.

Yesterday we got to go to the zoo - it was really nice and a great way to spend the afternoon. It was sunny for the first time in several weeks so that made it even better. It is suppose to be the biggest and best zoo in Ukraine. It was nothing compared to the Detroit Zoo but I really liked it. You are much closer to the animals here and it is really cheap - for the 3 of us it was only $7 American Dollars. Can't beat that!

Jason also got his first Ukrainian Haircut :O) probably the best $3 we have spent. The girl did a great job and he actually looks pretty good!! I like it better than when he has it done at home. I am sure the pretty girl and long legs made it fun to have done too!! HaHa.

The weather here is still pretty warm, still leaves on the trees and mild, doesn't make it feel much like Christmas. It will be colder in Kiev I am sure but I do not think that they have snow. I am missing the Christmas feeling. Around here they have just started putting up some decorations and there are a few commericals on TV that are Christmas based...but Christmas here is not until January 7th so they still have over a month. It is not so commericalize here either because of peoples lack of money. I am really looking forward to the Christmas music and decorating the tree. I am sure that Olena will not understand as much this year but it will still be such a blessing to have her home for Christmas morning.

That is about all for now. See you all very soon! and we will post in a few days! love ya

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just rolled into the Christmas weather here over the weekend...last week it was in the upper 60's! We set a record of 67! Of course this is Michigan and it went from 67 to 34. We had some snow at our house yesterday and this morning with plenty of ice on our roads! Christmas is here! I'm gald to hear things are going well and even more excited that Olean might recongize me at the airport! I'll have to get a book and learn a few things in Russin so I can talk to her when I meet her. I am VERY excited! No worry about to many clothes...I've only been to the store once and now I'm working on a small Christmas present for her. I did get those pictures printed out and was very pround to hang them up at work this morning...everyone here knows I'm an aunt now. Keep having fun and hurry home! We all miss you! LY, Auntie Jen

Anonymous said...

hi its me kaitlin crocker its in the mid 19/20 lots of snow cant wait to see you and olena.miss you by ps,i got my grades i got all A,s ecsepet on math

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are enjoying following your journey. Our paperwork for a sibling group of 1 boy and 1 girl under 5 is in Ukraine waiting to be turned in when they start to accept applications in January. We are so happy for you that you will have your new little one home soon. Safe travels and may God bless your new family!
Rob and Laura from VA

Anonymous said...

Glad that you guys will be home soon! Don't worry about Olena not getting Christmas, all kids catch on fast when it comes to opening gifts! You guys will have sooo much fun with her this year! Can't wait till you guys are home. Lots of Love, Alana,Rob, & the gang.