Every 18 seconds, a child becomes an orphan. Lets not forget about them.

The children who are available for adoption in Ukraine are not allowed to be photographed and "published" for view due to current Ukrainian laws. This is meant to protect the children and eliminate the chances of unethical or illegal adoptions . That is why in my slide show you will not see any full view faces of the children from the desky dom.

Thursday, October 11, 2007


I know that this is long over due, sorry. I honestly just don't feel like I have anything exciting to write about so I don't bother. I just don't want to bore anyone. But, it seems that Mrs. Tonya Kissack has an issue with the fact that I have not updated so I figured it was time :) (wink wink)

BTW, have any of you logged onto the Kissack and/or White's blog? OMG these girls are so beautiful. I am not being bias but I really think that "our" orphanage has some of the best babies in Ukraine. I was reading Tonya's post about Lyra not having any memory of her days there, and the same is true for Olena. We have played the video recording several times and I show her pictures and it doesn't even phase her. It is as if it never happened. I wasn't really worried, but I did find it strange that she wouldn't show some sign of remembering. Thanks Tonya for sharing, now at least I have an understanding of why!

Olena too shows absolutely no sign of institutionalized behavior. She is a perfect typical 2 year old girl. I had to laugh about Lyra's screaming issue because we too have this problem and I am honestly thankful that we are not the only ones suffering :) It is so awful. Loud, piercing and for some reason it always catches me off guard. She is so quick about it!! This morning I got it twice, once when I told her it was time to brush her teeth and again when I put her in the corner for doing it the first time - just great huh?!

She is smart as a whip. We were doing some Halloween crafts last night and I made a ghost and wrote the word BOO next to it. She picked up the picture, pointed to it and said "look mommy....BOO!" now yes, it was a very simple word, but I was so excited!! she will not even attempt to sing her ABCs, in fact the best I have ever gotten out of her, is literally ABC and that's it. Yet she can identity several letters of the alphabet. I stenciled nursery rhymes on her wall - back when I had nothing to do but wait for her to come home - and she will go up to the wall, point to a letter and say it! she manages to amaze me more and more every day.

She has no attachement problems. She is fully attached to Jason and I as well as my parents and her "toota" (her Aunt Rickie) and she is cautious of strangers. Besides the virus that all three of us had upon coming home, she hasn't been sick since. She got impetio back in the spring but I think that came from the daycare that I had her for a couple of weeks.

She has "school" for about 2 hours a day. We are currently working on 'pencil control' as I call it - I have her tracing letters and shapes. I bought her a dry erase book that has all of the letters and shapes are done in dotted lines so she can trace over them. She knows all shapes and all of her colors. She knows all of the numbers 1-10, but just like her ABCs she won't actually count! She now can sing "where is thumbkin", "hokey pokey", "I love you (Barney song)", and of course Patty Cake....oh and Baby it's Cold Outside by Dean Martin, which is one of her favorites - thanks to Dadu (gpa)

I have been thinking a lot about our trip lately, maybe because our 1 year "anniversary" is coming but I really miss Ukraine. I miss the kids from the groupa, the caregivers, the ladies selling sunflower seeds, the walk we took to the orphanage every day....it is just all so close to my heart. I can't imagine "having" children any other way :) I wish more than anything we could do it again, but I don't know if that is something that will repeat itself. I am very fond of Ukraine and our trip was perfect, but I don't have that feeling "pulling" me back there again. This adoption was something that was destined for me my whole life, I was born into this world to be this little girls mother, I just know it. I remember being 9 years old, playing with my Barbies, and having them adopt from "Russia" (and it was always a little girl. No boys for me!!) I know that part of me has been fulfilled, now I am just waiting for my next call of duty. We talk about it quite a bit and I definitely want at least 4 kids but right now is not the time. I have a few health issues that I must overcome and some personal goals that I need to achieve, so I know that we will wait for at least another year. The time will come. I am still clueless as to whether it be having home grown or adoption again but I know I will get the answer I need.

A few weeks back, we went to the Michigan/Ukrainian Angels Reunion. We had a great time. It was nice to see everyone again and see how much the kids have grown. Olena was great and was very well behaved - but then again she was getting a lot of attention and there never seems to be a problem when everyone is paying attention to Miss Olena :)


For someone who didn't have much to say, this sure is a long post! We have a big Halloween Party at my parents house this weekend so I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post next week. You will die, when you see how tall she is. Still no weight but she is growing like a bean. As of last week she was 34 inches tall and 24lbs and size 6 shoe! When we got home she was 19lbs and 28inches tall.

Sorry for babbling! stay tuned next week for new pics.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

THANK YOU!!!! I've been coming over here every day expecting to read something new for like a month now!:):):)

I'm glad you posted O's updated weight and height. She has grown more than Lyra has! Lyra was a lot chubbier to start with though so she just stretched I guess. Not a lot of weight gain. Aren't they amazing? And I agree with you. We had the best orphanage. All of our girls are fantastic. Not only beautiful but also emotionally healthy. I'm glad to hear that O doesn't remember anything about the orphanage either. I was a tiny bit (not much) worried that L was supressing but I guess not. The girls all seem so perfectly healthy, don't they!

I've been missing UA too. I have a freind headed over in early dec. I am going to live vicariously:):):).

Hugs to all of you!